Write Your Own Review
Customer Ratings and ReviewsClick here to write a review
a tool developerBe happy to get a pec quality tool a such a reasonable price. A casual conditioni which you describe is an inspiration to use the tool and just go for it> I like this company very much and I can recommend them and mitutoyo without reservation.
Not recommended!Well, there are a few things I like about this 12 in. combo square.
1) It is square based on my Woodpecker square and my engineering squares.
2) The markings are very readable with the background being a mat finish.
3) The powder coated finish is good.
There are also a few things that I don't like about this 12 in. combo square.
1) Yes, it was advertised as a "2nd"....but...I was not expecting a hand tool that looked like it has been laying around someone's high humidity shop for a year.
2) Part of the "Products Engineering" text was scraped off, which I assume is why it was a "2nd".
3) There are numerous black marks, small rust spots and other tarnished areas that don't clean up with any machined surface cleaners that I have used in the past. I have not tried a rust remover yet. Why should I have to?
4) The rule would not slide in the fence when I got it. I had to clean the rule with WD-40 to get rid of the black gunk and then put on a coat of paste wax to get it to slide. It still sticks in a couple of spots, but it is usable.
Anyways, I would not recommend purchasing "2nds" from Garrett. Yes, the price was only $32+ shipping, but I could have gone to my local hardware or big box store and got one for a third of the price that has better machined finish and didn't require cleaning it up before I used it.
On the plus side, it is square.....
Response By: Garrett Wade Tech Department
Thank you for your comments on the 12 inch Combination Square. Please accept our apologies for your receiving one in such poor condition. That should not have happened. We had a product specialist locate one for you which he has checked thoroughly. It's on its way out to you.